Most commonly asked questions for Canadians buying property in Florida

Information for Canadians looking to buy property in Florida 

Are Canadians still buying real estate in the United States? Article in Vancouver Sun

If you are a Canadian citizen and you are considering purchasing property in Florida, please take a minute to review these common questions and answers. I am formerly from Toronto and speak Italian, French and Spanish. I have been involved with real estate new construction and sales for over 10 years and specialize in working with fellow Canadians. Here are the most common questions on buying and owning real estate in Florida if you are a Canadian Citizen. Contact me at 239-887-4942 with market questions for homes or condos throughout Southwest Florida.

Information on the JOLT ACT

As of late 2013 no new information regarding the JOLT ACT has been generated. This bill is being reviewed by the Subcommittee on Immigration And Border Security according to the website

Summary of the JOLT ACT also known as Jobs Originated through Launching Travel Act of 2013
Introduced in House (03/21/2013)

Authorizes the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) to admit into the United States a qualifying Canadian citizen over 50 years old and spouse for a period not to exceed 240 days if the person maintains a Canadian residence and owns a U.S. residence or has rented a U.S. accommodation for the duration of such stay.

Directs the Secretary to require overseas visa processing posts to make public the availability of visa appointments during periods of low demand to encourage visa applicants to apply when interview wait times are lowest.

Revises the visa waiver program to: (1) authorize the Secretary of Homeland Security to designate any country as a program country; (2) adjust visa refusal rate criteria, including addition of a 3% maximum overstay rate; and (3) revise probationary and termination provisions.

Directs the Secretary to require U.S. diplomatic and consular missions to: (1) conduct nonimmigrant visa application interviews expeditiously, consistent with national security requirements and in recognition of resource allocation considerations; and (2) set a goal of interviewing 90% of all nonimmigrant visa applicants, worldwide, within 10 days of application receipt.

Helpful websites for Canadians

Tax Questions for Canadians Buying In the United States

IRS Publication 515 Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens

Information regarding US Visas

Information about FIRPTA Witholding from the IRS website

FIRPTA Withholding

Withholding of Tax on Dispositions of United States Real Property Interests
The disposition of a U.S. real property interest by a foreign person (the transferor) is subject to the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA) income tax withholding. FIRPTA authorized the United States to tax foreign persons on dispositions of U.S. real property interests. A disposition means “disposition” for any purpose of the Internal Revenue Code. This includes but is not limited to a sale or exchange, liquidation, redemption, gift, transfers, etc. Persons purchasing U.S. real property interests (transferees) from foreign persons, certain purchasers’ agents, and settlement officers are required to withhold 10 percent of the amount realized on the disposition (special rules for foreign corporations). In most cases, the transferee/buyer is the withholding agent. If you are the transferee/buyer you must find out if the transferor is a foreign person. If the transferor is a foreign person and you fail to withhold, you may be held liable for the tax. For cases in which a U.S. business entity such as a corporation or partnership disposes of a U.S. real property interest, the business entity itself is the withholding agent.

U.S. Real Property Interest
A U.S. real property interest is any interest, other than solely as a creditor, in real property (including an interest in a mine, well, or other natural deposit) located in the United States or the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as certain personal property that is associated with the use of real property (such as farming machinery or hotel furniture). It also means any interest, other than solely as a creditor, in any domestic corporation unless it is established that the corporation was at no time a U.S. real property holding corporation during the shorter of the period during which the interest was held, or the 5-year period ending on the date of disposition. If on the date of disposition, the corporation did not hold any U.S. real property interests, and all the interests held at any time during the shorter of the applicable periods were disposed of in transactions in which the full amount of any gain was recognized, then FIRPTA withholding would not apply.

Rates of Withholding
The transferee must deduct and withhold a tax equal to 10% (or other amount) of the total amount realized by the foreign person on the disposition. The amount realized is the sum of (1) The cash paid, or to be paid (principal only), (2) the fair market value of other property transferred, or to be transferred, and (3) the amount of any liability assumed by the transferee or to which the property is subject immediately before and after the transfer. The amount realized is generally the amount paid for the property. If the property transferred was owned jointly by U.S. and foreign persons, the amount realized is allocated between the transferors based on the capital contribution of each transferor.
A foreign corporation that distributes a U.S. real property interest must withhold a tax equal to 35% of the gain it recognizes on the distribution to its shareholders.
A domestic corporation must withhold a tax equal to 10% of the fair market value of the property distributed to a foreign shareholder if (1) the shareholder’s interest in the corporation is a U.S. real property interest, and (2) the property distributed is either in redemption of stock or in liquidation of the corporation.

Link for more information on FIRPTA withholding

Comprehensive Visa information on foreign individuals traveling to the United States

New proposed Act could jolt U.S. overseas property market
A new act introduced into the US Senate could help to boost the country’s tourism and overseas property market. The Jobs Originated Through Launching Travel (JOLT) Act, brought into the House by Senator Charles Schumer, focuses on trying to speed up the process of visa applications, encouraging Canadian and Chinese tourism, incentivising investing in the U.S. during low-season for foreigners and updating the country’s visa waiver program.

“[The] Jobs Originated through Launching Travel Act, is focused on many of the same components designed to make travel to the US for business or tourism purposes included in the VISIT USA bill,” he said. “It does include provisions to allow Canadians over 50 years of age to stay in the US for 60 days longer than is now the case, but it does not include the $500K purchase visa provisions.”

EB-5 visas enable foreigners to invest in the U.S. via a commercial enterprise. To do so investors must prove their source of funds and create ten new jobs within a two-year period.

Questions and Answers

If I am a Canadian can I only use my Florida house for 6 months out of the year?

Immigration allows Canadian visitors to visit the U.S. for up to 6 months at a time using either a B-1 Visa or a B-2 Visa. The first is a business Visa and the second is for pleasure Visa. Some changes have been made with immigration under NAFTA that will allow some Canadians that are working here under a B-1 Visa to stay for a full year stay per trip. There is a false belief that Canadians must stay in Canada for a full 6 months when returning from the U.S. in order to come back and stay for another 6 months in the States. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States (U.S.), Canada and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the U.S. in a prearranged business activity for a U.S. or foreign employer. Permanent residents, including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.

Professionals of Canada may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:

Applicant is a citizen of Canada
Profession is on the NAFTA list;
Position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;
Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer. Self employment is not permitted;

Requirements for Canadian Citizens
Canadian citizens usually do not need a visa as a NAFTA Professional, although a visa can be issued to qualified TN visa applicants upon request. A Canadian citizen without a TN visa can apply at a U.S. port of entry. Canadian citizens can also review information regarding TN visas through U.S. Embassy Ottawa’s website.

When Does a Canadian NAFTA Professional Need a Visa? A Canadian residing in another country with a non-Canadian spouse and child would need a visa to enable the spouse and child to be able to apply for a visa to accompany or join the NAFTA Professional, as a TD visa holder.

Can I get financing here to buy Florida real estate?

Yes you can. Right now the best lender that I know of is RBC for CanadiansYour interest rate may be a little bit higher than someone buying a house to live in as a primary residence, but the rates I have seen from RBC are not too bad. Some Canadian buyers have taken advantage of the current low prices for Florida real estate as compared to their homes in Canada and are getting equity lines of credit from their primary homes in Canada and then just paying cash. Currently in 2012 financing in the United States is very tight and difficult to get for foreign buyers. You should try to obtain funding in Canada before you start making offers on real estate so there are no delays. Then you can pay cash for your real estate purchase.

Are property taxes higher for Canadians that buy Florida real estate?

No, your property tax bill will be the same as anyone else buying a second home or investment property whether they are U.S. citizens or Canadian citizens. The only time a property owners taxes would be less is if the owners live in the house as their primary residence and apply for homestead exemption.

Are there other restrictions for Canadians buying homes in Florida? 

There are no restrictions that I know of for Canadians buying homes in Florida. If you buy in a deed restricted community or in a condo association that as a homeowners association rules and regulations you would have to abide by those rules.

What about Income Tax Regulations?

You can contact the Canadian Revenue Agency Website at or call them for individual income tax inquiries at 1-800-959-8281.

Tax issues for Canadians reference website

ITIN Guidance for Foreign Property Buyers and Sellers,,id=120219,00.html

What are the fees/closing costs when buying Florida real estate?

The fees involved in buying a house in Florida will be very similar to buying a house in Canada, when you find a home to buy and you are setting up the paperwork with the title company or attorney handling the purchase you will get a written breakdown of costs involved in the purchase. The most common costs are the following:

Home inspection fee, Property insurance, Appraisal fee, title insurance and county recording fees for the note and mortgage if a loan is being placed on the home. Also your lender may charge points and processing and underwriting fees to secure your loan.

Is it hard to get a property insured in Florida if I am only there part time in the Winters?

This has not been a problem for us, we have insurance companies that will write property insurance for Canadian buyers.


Switch to our mobile site